You hear the phrase “time and money” constantly in business. Many gym owners define their success by these two metrics. But the reality is there are 5 Currencies that dictate a business owners success.
The 5 Currencies refer to the most vital resources in an gym owners life:
- Cash – When business owners are low on cash, they can be cutthroat, frustrated, frantic or entirely distracted. We tend to come off as incongruent and dishonest to those around us.
- Time – When we overbook our time, we can become accelerated, always in a hurry and make the people around us feel less important.
- Effort – Many gym owners feel they have infinite reserves of this Currency. People like us love to take on more responsibility and put more of ourselves into projects regardless of how much we have to give. Oftentimes we spread ourselves too thin, which can result in becoming overwhelmed. When we are overwhelmed, we start to break down physically, cognitively and chemically.
- Energy – When we stay up late or don’t take care of their bodies and minds with the proper nutrition, exercise and self-reflection, we greatly limit our chances of being successful. We also place a limitation on what we’re able to accomplish in the future.
- Focus – The most elusive of the 5 Currencies is focus. When our focus is taken up by the wrong activities, we can’t place our attention on making the right decisions to move us toward our larger vision.
Imbalances in any one of these can cause a gym owner to perform below their potential and incredibly overwhelmed.
That’s why we created this 5 Currencies Scorecard exercise below. This is a sample of just one of a 100 lesson’s in the BLG Foundation’s Program. It’s designed to give you a snapshot of where you currently stand with your 5 Currencies along the following spectrum:
- Well-Invested and Gaining
- Breaking Even
- Falling Behind
- Breaking Down
Make sure you fill out the scorecard as transparently as possible in order to identify the pain points that require your attention. When we’re able to understand the reality of our 5 Currencies, we become more present, aware, and capable as leaders.